Are you making a switch from an iOS devices to an Android devices? If yes, this post is good for you. Transferring your media files, contacts, calendar from iOS to Android should be fine, but the tricky part is how to transfer your text messages from iPhone to your Android phone.
iPhone text message formats are not Android-friendly which is why you need to convert it to a format that your Android phone can recognize.
1. Extract iPhone Messages File: First of all we have to extract the message file, to do this, open up iTunes and connect your iPhone to your computer. On the left bar, right click your iPhone and select ‘Backup’. Next, to locate the backup file:
- For Windows users: C://[Users]/[Username]/AppData/Roaming/Apple Computer\Mobile Sync
- For MacOS users: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
You will see folders with random characters; open the one with the most recent timestamp. Search for file 3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28. To make searching easier, just copy and paste the file name into the search box. After locating the file, transfer it to your Android phone by copying and pasting the 3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28 file to your Android phone SD card or internal storage.
2. Convert iPhone Messages to Android format: To start converting your iPhone messages to Android format, you need iSMS2droid. Launch iSMS2droid and tap on ‘Select iPhone SMS Database’. It will ask you to search for your iOS messages backup file. Locate and choose the 3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28 file. You can either select which messages you want to load or you can choose to load all of them. The conversion will then start.
3. Restore iPhone Messages to Android Phone: After the conversion completed, you need another app to restore it into your Android phone. Download SMS Backup & Restore on your Android device. Launch SMS Backup & Restore and tap on Restore and it will direct you to the file directory where the converted files are located. Tap OK. You can choose to restore all messages or only restore messages from a particular date. Tap OK to start restoring. You will be asked if you want to check for duplicates of messages during the restoration process. Upon completion, you will see the number of successful messages restored, as well as those that cannot be restored. Double check your messages in the Messaging app to find all your perfectly restored messages.
Hooray! all your messages from your iPhone should be transfered to your Android phone successfully.